Gaia Education Certification
While the Ecovillage Design Curriculum is an "open source" offering to the world,
and people are free to use the material as they see fit, we encourage people to apply for
Gaia Education certification for courses that meet the following criteria:
- A minimum of 125 contact hours (e.g. 20 course days; 6.25 hours/day)
- A strong intention to cover all 20 modules within each of the four dimensions
- A minimum of 15 hours devoted to holistic and detailed design processes
- A skilled team of educators with sufficient knowledge and experience and at least one who has completed an EDE
- An appropriate venue (ideally an ecovillage or a sustainability research or demonstration center)
- A commitment to complete and submit course evaluations and reports
Why Apply for
Certification? We believe this process provides numerous benefits:
- Gaia Education certification endorsement adds institutional value to courses
- A certification provides a forum in which to evolve and improve the curriculum
- New courses can receive mentoring by experienced EDE providers in their region
- It provides opportunities to collectively reach out to media, organisations & funders
Three Ways to be Associated with Gaia Education
- Certified by Gaia Education - join the worldwide network of sustainability designers by offering a certified EDE. Complete and submit an online Certification or Re-certification Application, or download the Certification or Re-certification application.
- Supported by Gaia Education - offer an abridged version of the EDE programme to test the material in your region and country. Write to
to tell us more of your programme and request institutional support from Gaia Education.
- Inspired by Gaia Education - create your own education for sustainability programme and get inspired by the EDE. Write to
to tell us more of your programme and request the Inspired by Gaia Education logo.
To date, over 135 EDE courses have been formally certified or re-certified and 10 have been offered Supported by Gaia Education Certification.
Anyone can use the Inspired by logo, but the Certified by and Supported by logos are reserved for courses that are formally certified or receive institutional support from Gaia Education.
We are excited about the ongoing development of the certification process and welcome your questions and suggestions.
|Applications received in this period
||Will be reviewed by
| January 1 - April 30
|| June 30
| May 1 - August 31
| September 1 - December 31